The CBTU Retiree Committee is a group of senior
advocates who act as the conscience of the senior movement from
a black and minority perspective.
(412) 241-4766 /ofc: (412) 371-6784/fax
(202) 526-4869/res.; (202) 832-0892/fax
Geraldine Cross Bennet (Baltimore)
James Jackson (New Jersey)
- Guarantee the integrity of the Social Security
program by denying the right to use the Social Security Trust
funds for any other purpose.
- Oppose raising the age requirement for social security,
because it is unfair to African Americans and other minorities.
- Use the social security surplus to preserve the
Social Security Trust Fund.
- Oppose any form of privatizing social security,
but fight for raising the earning cap.
- Push for a strong patients bill of rights law.
- Expose the culturally biased age decisions of social
security, Medicare, managed care and congressional officials,
because they are based on information from mostly middle class,
European-American healthy males. CBTU/retiree committee
- Contact your U.S. senator or House representative
at (202) 225-3131, and urge them to protect older workers in the
new cash balance pension plans.
- Urge your members of Congress to act now to prevent
drastic cuts in affordable housing for seniors and low income
- Urge support for Clinton/Gore Medicare plan, which
includes the new prescription drug benefit.
- Urge support for Sen. Ted Kennedy's (D-Mass.) bill
- S.731 - the Prescription Drug Fairness for Seniors Act.
- Call your lawmakers in Congress (202) 225-3131,
and urge them to vote for reauthorization of the Older Americans'
Act, which has been languishing in Congress since 1995.
CBTU Retiree Committee members serve as
officers, board members, directors and advisors to many local, national
and international organizations.
- Brother Simons and Brother Montgomery serve as
members of the senior advisory committee of the Democratic National
- Sister Hildred Drew Dale, assistant secretary of
the CBTU Retiree Committee, serves on the General Policy Board
of the National Council of Senior Citizens.
- Sister Mae Dickinson is a member of the Indiana
- Brother Montgomery attended a conference in Nairobi,
Kenya, in 1999, where he was a consultant on establishing social
security systems on the Sub-Sahara African continent.
- Many CBTU retiree committee members serve on the
National Policy Committee of the NCSC and on the regional, state
and local boards.
Women's Committee | Youth
Committee | Retiree Committee
Committee | Environmental